Sunday, January 3, 2010

the unemployed endorsement: Nutella.

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

when i read that quote, i always end up thinking about the things i ate as a child, and the things i eat now. i'm pretty sure that's not what the bible was trying to get me to think about, but oh well.

anyhoo, when i was a kid, like most kids, i thoroughly enjoyed peanut butter sandwiches.





the toasted white bread, its warmth melting the nutty spread into a delicious gooey center - crispy and tasty all at the same time. my mother packed it up in those little plastic bags and even when the condensation made the browned bread mushy and moist, there was always a hint of crunchiness that remained.

yeah, takes me back.

now sometime in my youth (a distant echo now, i know), i came across something amazing, dare i say, even more amazing than peanut butter sandwiches.





now there are candies, and there there are candies. and then there is Ferrero Rocher. to this day, i do not know what that name even means. even with all the internets and wikis in the world, i struggle to maintain the mystique that name held over me as a child.

it's either that or my ignorance. i'd rather you thought it was the mystique.

do i really need to tell you what these delectable little gold balls are? well, they get internet under rocks now too, right? underneath that shiny foil wrapper is a core of creamy hazelnut filling surrounded by a layer of smooth chocolate with hazelnut bits. i mean i can describe them all the day long but it would only end up being an exercise in the futility of words. in other words:

TRY IT. going on...

as peanut butter sandwiches and Ferrero Rocher balls came and went in my mouth, there was always that linger question in my mind:

"would these two taste experiences ever possibly collide?"

the answer that went through my head back then was "no." since you, on the other hand, are reading a piece about Nutella in which Nutella hasn't been mentioned yet, you would probably figure "yes."





yes, my good friend, these two taste sensations eventually did explode in my mouth one faithful day, in the creamy form of Nutella. this divine gift from culinary heaven is a spread consisting of hazelnut, skim milk, and cocoa, or as i like to pronounce it "ko-ko-AH."

quite simply, it's Ferrero Rocher in spreadable form. if the significance of that statement is lost on you, let me reiterate:

remember in your childhood when you wished you could make a candy sandwich? someone out there had the same wish and is making money off everyone right now. including me.

and so now, as i depart from childhood and go out into the big wide world to look for a job, i take a bite into a sandwich. but not just any sandwich, no. not a peanut butter one, most definitely not.

a Nutella sandwich is what i bite into.

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

blog comments powered by Disqus